Notice of Job Opening
Lieutenant/Medic – Fulltime/paid
Wage: $56,935.00 per year + Benefits (including health, dental, vision, life insurance,retirement)
Opening Date: January 28, 2020
Closing Date: February 14, 2020 at 1700
This is a non-exempt position reporting directly to a Fire Captain. The position provides initial response
to fire, ems, rescue, and hazardous materials in the Steese Fire and EMS Service areas. Serves as
apparatus driver for emergency response when needed as well as Lead Medic. Performs daily fire
department business, facility & equipment maintenance, and equipment checks. May be assigned special
areas of responsibility (i.e., PPE & Uniforms, Hose Testing, EMS) The position requires attendance at
all weekly and assigned training classes, instructs during recruit training and participates in training
drivers. The Lieutenant/Medic must achieve developmental benchmarks as outlined in the “Terms of
Employment” of this document. Lieutenant/Medics will function as Acting Captains when needed. The
position calls for working a rotating 48-hour shift, 96 hours off, or 8 hours per day/ 40 hours per week
- Must be at least 19 years of age
- Two (2) to four (4) years of active experience as a Structural Firefighter.
- Physically fit to perform fire ground duties/task performances to include entry into structure
fires. Department physical ability test must be passed prior to hiring and on an annual basis.
- Pass the department’s medical physical prior to hiring and pass on an annual basis.
- Current valid Alaska Driver’s License with three (3) years of driving experience and insurable
under SVFD’s vehicle insurance policy.
- State of Alaska or IFSAC Firefighter II
- Current BLS for Healthcare Providers certification
- Current AK-MICP license or current State of Alaska EMT-3 certification. (must obtain State of
AK EMT-3 certification & SVFD Lead Medic status with 3 months of hire)
- IS-100, IS-700 certificates
- Certified by a fire department to operate a fire apparatus (attack engine or tanker) for emergency
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Associates degree in Paramedicine or related field
- FADO Certification – Driver/Pumper Operator & Mobile Water Supply Operator.
- Fire Instructor I
- Fire Officer I
- IS-200, IS-300, IS-400, IS-800 certificates
- AHA BLS Instructor
- State of Alaska EMT Instructor
Application Packet Requirements:
- Completed Application (downloaded from www.steesefire.org)
- Copies of all required certifications
- Two letters of reference
Submit your application packet by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply in person at Steese VFD, 800 William C. Leary Lane, Fairbanks, AK 99712