Fulltime/paid – Firefighter/Medic
Wage: $43,351.18 – $47346.68 per year (pay depends on position qualified for) + Benefits (including health, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k with 12% match)
Opening Date: December 7, 2022
Closing Date: Until filled, initial application review 12/21/2022, Initial interviews starting 01/04/2023
Position Open: 1 (one)
This non-exempt position reports directly to a Fire Captain, Lieutenant, or Engineer. The position provides an initial response to fire, ems, rescue, and hazardous materials incidents in the Steese Fire and EMS Service areas. Serves as apparatus driver for emergency response and as a Lead Medic. Performs daily fire department business, facility & equipment maintenance, and equipment checks. May be assigned special areas of responsibility (i.e., PPE & Uniforms, Hose Testing, EMS).
The position requires attendance at all weekly and assigned training classes, instruction during recruit training, and participation in training drivers. Additionally, the Firefighter/Medic must achieve developmental benchmarks outlined in the “Terms of Employment” of this document. Firefighters/Medics will function as acting officers when needed. The position calls for working a rotating 48-hour shift, 96 hours off or 8 hours per day/ 40 hours per week.
- Must be at least 19 years of age
- Two (2) years of active experience as a structural firefighter.
- Physically fit to perform fireground duties/task performances, including entry into structure The Department’s physical ability test must be passed before hiring and on an annual basis.
- Pass the Department’s medical physical before hiring and pass
- Current valid Alaska Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one within three (3) months of hire. Three (3) years of driving experience and insurable under SVFD’s vehicle insurance policy.
- State of Alaska or IFSAC Firefighter 1
- Current BLS for Healthcare Providers certification
- Current State of Alaska EMT – 2 certification.
- IS-100, IS-700 certificates
- Certified by a fire department to operate a fire apparatus (attack engine or tender) for emergency
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Application Packet Requirements:
- Completed Application (downloaded from www.steesefire.org)
- Copies of all required certifications
- Two letters of reference
Submit your application packet online or apply in person at Steese VFD, 800 William C. Leary Lane, Fairbanks, AK 99712.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com