Notice of Job Opening
Engineer/Medic – Fulltime/paid
Salary: Doe with benefits Opening Date: December 14, 2018 Closing Date: Wednesday, January 9, 2019. Applications must be received by 5:00 pm
This is a non-exempt position reporting directly to a Shift Captain. The position provides initial response to fire, EMS, rescue and hazardous materials in the Steese Fire and EMS Service areas. This position serves as an apparatus driver for emergency response when needed as well as Lead Medic at the EMT 3A level. Performs daily fire department business, facility & equipment maintenance, and equipment checks. May be assigned special areas of responsibility (i.e. PPE & Uniforms, Hose Testing, EMS) The position requires attendance at all weekly and assigned training classes, instructs during recruit training and participates in training drivers. The Engineer/Medic must achieve developmental benchmarks as outlined in the “Terms of Employment” of this document. Engineer/Medics will function as Acting Captains as needed. The position calls for working a rotating 24-hour shift, 48 hours off or 8 hours per day/ 40 hours per week schedule.
- Must be at least 19 years of age
- 2 years of active experience as a structural firefighter.
- Physically fit to perform fire ground duties/task performances to include entry into structure fires. Department physical ability test must be passed prior to hiring and on an annual basis.
- Pass the department’s medical physical prior to hiring and pass on an annual basis.
- Current valid Alaska Driver’s License with three years of driving experience and maintain insurability under SVFD’s vehicle insurance policy.
- State of Alaska or IFSAC Firefighter I
- Current State of Alaska EMT-3 certification.
- IS-100, IS-700 certification.
- Certified by current or past fire department to operate a fire apparatus (engine, tender, or quint) for emergency response.
- State of Alaska or IFSAC Firefighter II
- State of Alaska Fire Apparatus Driver/Pumper/Mobile Water Supply operator
- State of Alaska MICP
- Associates degree in municipal fire control or related field
- Associates degree in paramedicine or related field
- State of Alaska or IFSAC Fire Instructor I
- State of Alaska or IFSAC Fire Officer I
- State of Alaska Rapid Intervention Technician
- State of Alaska Hazardous Materials Technician
- Currently authorized by a department to operate as a lead medic at the EMT-3A level
- NWCG Firefighter Type 2
Submit your resume, certificate copies, driving record, background release, and the employment application by emailing them to email@example.com or apply in person at Steese VFD, 800 William C. Leary Lane, Fairbanks, AK 99712
Please review the full job description and download the employment application.