Notice of Job Opening
Captain – Fulltime/paid
Wage; $62,929.00 – $64,926.00 + Benefits (including health, dental, vision, life
Opening Date: August 9, 2019
Closing Date: Friday, September 6, 2019.
Applications must be received by 5:00 pm
This is a non-exempt position reporting directly to the Deputy Chief or designee. The position provides
initial response to fire, ems, rescue, and hazardous materials in the Steese Fire and EMS Service areas,
and establishes Command of the incident until relieved by a superior officer. Performs daily fire
department business, facility & equipment maintenance, and equipment checks. The position requires
attendance at all weekly and assigned training classes and participates as an instructor. The Captain must
become certified to drive all fire department apparatus, be certified to perform Firefighting duties at the
level of Firefighter II and be authorized by the department to function at an EMT III-Advanced level
under the standing orders of the department physician sponsor and Fairbanks North Star Borough. This
is a supervisory position for operational and educational issues and includes management, leadership,
and training responsibilities for all assigned personnel. Captains may also function as Acting Battalion
Chiefs. The position calls for working a rotating 24-hour shift, 48 hours off or 8 hours per day/ 40 hours
per week schedule.
- Must be at least 19 years of age
- Have a minimum of Five (5) years’ experience as a Firefighter, three (3) of which are at an Officer level or equivalent.
- Physically fit to perform fire ground duties/task performances to include entry into structure fires. Department physical agility test must be passed annually
- Current valid Alaska Driver’s License & be insurable under the Department’s policy
- State of Alaska Fire Apparatus Driver/Pumper/Mobile Water Supply operator (FADO) Certification or the ability to obtain within 1 year of hiring date.
- State of Alaska or IFSAC Firefighter II
- Current State of Alaska or IFSAC Fire Instructor I
- State of Alaska or IFSAC Fire Officer I
- Current State of Alaska EMT III with Paramedic preferred.
- Rapid Intervention Technician certificate completed within one year
- Current HazMat Operations certificate
- I-100, I-200, I-700, I-800 certificates
- Must be certified to drive/operate all Steese VFD apparatus and vehicles within three months
- Associates degree in municipal fire control or related field
- Associates degree in paramedicine or related field
- Bachelor’s Degree
- AHA BLS Instructor
- State of Alaska EMT Instructor
Submit your resume, certificate copies, driving record, background release, and the employment application by emailing them to email@example.com or apply in person at Steese VFD, 800 William C. Leary Lane, Fairbanks, AK 99712
Please review the full job description and download the employment application.