Notice of Job Opening – EXTENSION
Firefighter/Medic – Fulltime/paid
Wage; $43,950.00 – $52,935.00 + Benefits (including health, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement)
Opening Date: September 12, 2019
Closing Date: Until filled, Initial interviews to start 10/22/2019
This is a non-exempt position reporting directly to a Fire Captain. The position provides initial response to fire, ems, rescue, and hazardous materials in the Steese Fire and EMS Service areas. Serves as apparatus driver for emergency response when needed as well as Lead Medic. Performs daily fire department business, facility & equipment maintenance, and equipment checks. May be assigned special areas of responsibility (i.e., PPE & Uniforms, Hose Testing, EMS) The position requires attendance at all weekly and assigned training classes, instructs during recruit training and participates in training drivers. The Firefighter/Medic must achieve developmental benchmarks as outlined in the “Terms of Employment” of this document. Firefighter/Medics will function as Acting Captains when needed. The position calls for working a rotating 48-hour shift, 96 hours off or 8 hours per day/ 40 hours per week schedule.
- Must be at least 19 years of age
- Two (2) years of active experience as a Structural Firefighter.
- Physically fit to perform fire ground duties/task performances to include entry into structure fires. Department physical ability test must be passed prior to hiring and on an annual basis.
- Pass the department’s medical physical prior to hiring and pass on an annual basis.
- Current valid Alaska Driver’s License with three (3) years of driving experience and insurable under SVFD’s vehicle insurance policy.
- State of Alaska or IFSAC Firefighter 1
- Current BLS for Healthcare Providers certification
- Current State of Alaska EMT III certification.
- IS-100, IS-700 certificates
- Certified by a fire department to operate a fire apparatus (attack engine or tanker) for emergency response.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Associates degree in Paramedicine or related field
- Current AK-MICP license
- FADO Certification – Driver/Pumper Operator & Mobile Water Supply Operator.
- IFSAC Firefighter II
- Fire Instructor I
- IS-200, IS-300, IS-400, IS-800 certificates
- AHA BLS Instructor
- State of Alaska EMT Instructor
Application Packet Requirements:
- Completed Application (downloaded from steesefire.org)
- Copies of all required certifications
- Two letters of reference
Submit your application packet by emailing them to email@example.com or apply in person at Steese VFD, 800 William C. Leary Lane, Fairbanks, AK 99712
Please review the full job description and download the employment application.